It’s been a hectic couple of weeks I am still recovering from a very bad cold had a couple of asthma attacks (scary) been to see Teen Girl in a play (very good) and been to 2 nursing reunions ( brilliant) here are 25 things I learned about myself, others and the world
- Asthma can come from nowhere I last had an attack before I had children so wasn’t expecting it. If you have ever had asthma please have an inhaler at hand in case you need it, asthma is no fun and can kill you.
- Teen Girl is good at acting, I watched her in a school production and was very impressed by her and her classmates.
- Teenagers have funny ideas about the NHS and hospitals, the play was set in a mental illness word and the “patients” all had pyjamas on, looked like they had lobotomies, the doctors were sadistic and were literally armed with tranquilising drugs! Things have changed since the 50’s guys.
- True friendship is a precious gift I.had the pleasure of meeting up with people that I have been friends with for 25 -30 years. With people that I have with whom I have shared my brightest and darkest days the experience was humbling and enlightening.
- It doesn’t matter how often you see people true friends are always there for you.
- I used to have a waist!
- Teen boy is maturing into a lovely young man.
- Despite my marriage ending in recrimination and tears I am glad it happened I got 2 cool kids as part of the deal.
- I only have 2 friends who are still with the person they were with when I was 18 (Leessa, Simon John and Tracy I salute you).
- I used to get cabs everywhere, I don’t get a cab anywhere now , if I can’t walk get a tube or drive myself, I won’t go.
- A lot of my friends are or have been single parents.
- If it all ends tomorrow I have had a wonderful life
- I am happier now than I have been for a long time
- Selfie sticks have a button on the handle to take the picture ( I did not know this)
- I want a selfie stick they are fun.
- I love taking pictures
- Drinking wine during the day has consequences.
- I couldn’t work on ward again I am too old (and too tired)
- Nursing has made me the person I am today.
- The eighties was a great decade great music, bad fashions and lots of laughter.
- London is the best city in the world
- The NHS and all the people who work for it are wonderful.
- I am grateful for my heritage as the fabulous Naomi Campbell said “black don’t crack”
- Reunions are fun nostalgic but also bittersweet, people no longer with us were notable by their absence
- All in all it’s been good times! It’s 30 years since I started training as a nurse, a small town girl in a big city. I have had some amazing experiences and met some wonderful people. In the last 10 days I learned to count my blessings and that life is short and goes past in a flash. I know I have had a ball and to mis quote the Areosmith song “I wouldn’t want to change a thing”
Have you been on a reunion what are you thankful for I love to hear from you
Until the next time D x
One thought on “Single Mummy Life-30 years in London, Nursing Reunions and Asthma Attacks 25 things I have learned in the last 10 days ”