I love Christmas always have but the holidays can be a lonely and stressful time for single parents and I know that I feel a bit lost in having to manage the day on my own. So here are my top 10 tips for managing at Christmas
- Decide where you will be. Make a decision as soon as you can. Factor in your co parent if they are around and your network of support. If someone invites you for Christmas bite their hand off and go.
- Plan some time off to do your shopping, every year Christmas comes as a surprise to me so I need a day or two to get myself sorted.
- The internet is fabulous, use it well. I am saving a lot of time doing some of my shopping online ( what did we do before?)
- Make a plan for who you are going to see and when over the holidays. At Christmas I try to see as many friends and family as I can and as we live all over the country this requires a lot of strategic time tabling.
- Plan some time when you don’t go anywhere or do anything treat it as a date with yourself.
- Ask the kids what they would like and specify a budget. My kids are too old for Santa so I ask them what they would like and try to fit in as much as I can. It’s also useful to have if friends and family ask what the kids would like for Christmas.
- If anyone asks you what you would like for Christmas ask for stuff that you would like but wouldn’t buy for yourself. Make up, earrings, fancy bubble bath that sort of thing.
- If you can, buy yourself one thing that you wouldn’t dream of buying during the rest of the year. Wrap it up like you would for a loved one, then open it on Christmas Day and keep everyone guessing as to who bought it.
- Create family traditions that make Christmas time special one of ours is playing intergerational (and very competitive ) games of scrabble and Monopoly.
- If you do have to spend some time on your own at Christmas make the time into a massive treat. Stay in your pyjamas, wrap up warm and binge watch your favourite films/ Tv series. Eat nice food, drink wine and congratulate yourself on the great job you have done all year.
So there you have it, my tips for managing Christmas as a single parent. I have probably missed loads out and you guys will have your own tips. If you have let me know.
Have a good one and take care of you.